Friday, March 30, 2012

The Brain

I have been a comic for a little over 10 years now. Making people smile is what I love to do. Each day has its ups and downs. I feel right now that I am paying my dues. Starting from scratch is not the easiest process when you had yourself established. One of the questions I always get is who are your comedy role models? I was thinking about this long and hard and only one name came to my mind. Andy Kaufman. He is everything I strive to be. I hope that I can have the career he did. However a couple of weeks ago, I was sitting down in the evening watching some Netflix. I was looking at documentaries and choose one about someone I "booed" when I was a kid.

I was a wee little tyke when my dad would prop me up with pillows and sit me down in front of the television. There was only thing being shown in our house at that time. Professional Wrestling. A love affair with theatrics was born. The best part of being a kid in the late 80s and early 90s was seeing Hulk Hogan destroy the bad guys. Good always triumphed over evil. You knew who the crowd was going to root for. It was a much simpler time.

The doc was about wrestling manager and announcer Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. If I was an adult during this time frame, I would have loved this guy. Watching the movie about his life made realize how much he plays into the entertainer that I am today. He was one of the most quick-witted men in the history of not only pro wrestling, but entertainment. He could make you love him, and 20 seconds later you wanted to rip his damn head off. He was so funny that if he wanted to have his own sitcom, he could have. That makes you special. The man was unbelievable at improving. He had a rebuttal for everything dished out.My delivery is kinda the same. I never really figured this out until now. A man that I despised as a kid cause he wanted to destroy Hulk Hogan, is one of the reasons I love what I do. I wish someday I could thank him to his face.






Next time you feel nostalgic, look back at what you loved as a kid. See if it didn't help shape who you are today.

0 comments: