Sunday, September 30, 2012

Retro Music Video (9/30/12)

Yesterday, I spent my day in Newport Arkansas. I was taking in a festival dedicated to the past of rock and roll and looking toward the future. The crowds at these things are not my age usually but it is nice to see the music that paved the way for the acts of today and tomorrow. We will be reviewing one the acts of the future tomorrow with the return of Crank It To 11. However, today we are going to celebrate on the acts that paved the way for the newcomers. This band has been together than most of you reading have been alive. It says a lot about the power of music does it not? The band, I am speaking of is The Kentucky Headhunters. These guys are southern and country rock. I know many of you were raised listening to the radio of country stations and will know who they are when we get to the actual video. The one thing I get nervous about is seeing a classic rock band play. I think some of that hesitation is due to Super Bowl halftime shows. It's pretty weak to see how some of the stars have ended up but I can say that is not the case here. These guys still have it. They could have played all night and I don't think anyone would have left. Drummer Fred Young, played a 10 minute drum solo and half of it without sticks. That is just pure talent. We had to get a picture of this guy with our mascot for The Buzz Kill. 
Best Chops Ever!!!
Greg Martin is one of the best guitar players I have ever seen in person. I don't know if this is the right analogy to use or not, he made that guitar sound like he was making love to it. Richard Young has a personality that doesn't stop and is very talented in his own right. He is a showman and I can appreciate that more than any. Doug Phelps on bass, if anything, just got to hear him do Spirit in the Sky and an all around nice guy. I may sound like I am very high on them and I am. If you get a chance go see them. While I was writing this, I was downing a Slawburger, fries and a bottle of ski. The only downside is that it didn't come from Dumas Walkers.

0 comments: